Thursday, February 4, 2010

Versatile Mary Bohi signs with Villanova


Gina Procaccio has signed a versatile hurdler/middle distance runner from Seneca High School in Tabernacle, New Jersey. Reigning Group 3 New Jersey state champion in the 400 meter intermediate hurdles Mary Bohi will join the Villanova track team in the fall. Mary is also a promising talent at 800 meters (PR of 2:11.56), at which distance she finished 4th in the Group 3 state meet last summer. Bohi's best times are 59.80 (400 meters), 1:01.49 (400 meter hurdles), 2:11.56 (800 meters), and 5:24.96 (1600 meters). As a junior she finished 14th in the 400 hurdles at the Nike Outdoor Nationals in Greensboro, NC. Here is the December 2009 story from The Burlington County Times announcing her decision to attend Villanova:

Seneca's Bohi headed for Villanova
By: Reuben Frank
Burlington County Times

Seneca senior Mary Bohi, one of only two girls in the U.S. to run 2:11 for 800 meters and 1:01.49 in the intermediates this past spring, will continue her education and track career at Villanova, Bohi said today.
“I loved pretty much everything about it,” Bohi said. “The campus had a great feel to it, everyone there – especially the team – was extremely nice and made me feel a part of the team right away.
“I love the coaching staff and know they can get me to my full potential, and I’m so excited about that. I knew the whole weekend that I was on my official visit that Villanova was where I wanted to go, and myself, my parents and my coaches are thrilled.”
Bohi ran 2:11.56 and 1:01.49 at the state Group 3 meet, winning her first state title in the 400 intermediates. The only other girl in the U.S. who ran that fast for both races was Ellen Dougherty of East High in Sioux City, Iowa (2:08.94, 1:01.25).
Bohi and senior All-America Michelle Brown helped Seneca win state Group 3 team titles both indoors and outdoors. They also teamed with Lyndsy Horn and Nicole McGrainer to win the Millrose Games mile relay and with Horn and Kayla Moody to win Penn Relays and state 1,600-meter relay titles.
Brown signed with Notre Dame last month, so Bohi and Brown will find themselves competing against each other in the Big East Conference.
“Mary chose an amazing school and I couldn’t be happier for her, especially since Villanova is in the Big East,” Brown said. “I’m so excited to be able to run against one of my best friends next year.”
Villanova is rich in track and cross country tradition. The Villanova women’s cross country team won its eighth NCAA title last week and is a perennial national contender on the track.
Nova women’s track coach Gina Procaccio and legendary Shawnee middle-distance runner Michelle DiMuro ran together on several world-class relay teams, including the 3,200-meter relay team that set a world indoor record of 8:24.72 in 1987.
Bohi, who ranks No. 2 in county history in the 800 and No. 5 in the intermediates, plans to study nursing at Villanova.
“It has one of the best nursing programs in the country, and it has one of the best track programs,” Bohi said. “I know it was the best possible fit for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment