Friday, January 11, 2013

Margey's 2:43.89 Sets Armory Record over 1000 meters
#2 All-Time Villanova Mark behind Procaccio's 2:42.13 (1987)

Villanova freshman Kelsey Margey ran a blistering 2:43.89 over 1000 meters tonight at the Armory in New York, setting a new facility record. It is the fastest time in the NCAA this year and ranks #2 all-time at Villanova, behind her coach Gina Procaccio's 1987 run of 2:42.13. Her 800 meter split was 2:11.2, as she closed in 32.7 over the final 200 meters.

Here is the official press release from the Armory:

Villanova freshman Kelsey Margey, an Armory regular as a prep on Long Island's Friends Academy, ran a track record time in the 1,000 meters on Friday at the Gotham Cup.

Margey ran 2:43.89 in an eye-opening performance that immediately marks her as one of the top mid-distance collegians in the country.

Margey ran steady 32s and 33s on the banked 200-meter oval and split 2:11.2 for 800 (unofficially).

"I didn't think I was going to run 2:43 to be honest," Margey said. "So that was awesome. I was surprised and happy."

Margey moved to No. 2 all-time at Villanova behind her coach, Gina Procaccio, who ran 2:42.13 for the Wildcats in 1987.

"It's my first time back at the Armory since high school," Margey said. "I was exciting to come back here wearing a Villanova jersey."

In addition to her team, Margey had some fans in attendance.

"It was definitely hard," she said of the bell lap. "I just wanted to bring it home and I had everyone cheering for me on the back curve. I had a little bit of energy and just put it all out there."

Margey was the New Balance Outdoor national champion in the mile last June, when she ran 4:45.84. She also won the 800 in the New York state meet and was second in the 1,500. Prior to that, she had placed top-five in a variety of big high school events.

She is obviously making a smooth transition into college racing.

"Having a great group of girls to run with every day and great coaches with all this knowledge, it’s given me so much strength," Margey said.

She was non-commital about whether she thought the 800 or the mile would be her best event this season.

"I want to try a range of events," she said. "I definitely like the 8 and the 1,000, but I also love the mile and cross country. I am just working on that range to be good at everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment