Friday, October 14, 2011

5 Things You Should Know About Jen Rhines

Here's the New York Road Runners' snippet on Jen Rhines, who will be back up at the marathon distance next month at the ING New York City Marathon. To go to the original website, click HERE.

5 Things You Should Know About Me: Jen Rhines
Friday, 14 October 2011
Written by Barbara Huebner

Jen Rhines, 37, has spent the past two decades quietly making a case to be called one of the best female distance runners in U.S. history. Given the three Olympic Games and six World Championships on her resume, it's hard to argue. Rhines, after a ninth-place finish at 10,000 meters in the IAAF World Championships last month, has begun training for her third ING New York City Marathon—and after disappointing finishes in 2003 and 2005, feels she has something to prove on these streets.

(1) I went to high school in Liverpool, NY, and was state champion at 1500 meters in 1991 and 1992. I competed in New York City for the first time 20 years ago, at Madison Square Garden in the 1991 Millrose Mile.

(2) I'm a five-time NCAA Champion and the first woman to win three consecutive 5000-meter titles (1994, 1995, and 1996).

(3) I've finished in the Top 3 at national championships 18 times – indoor track, outdoor track, cross country and the roads – going back to 1998, and have competed for the USA on 13 national teams. I'm the only woman to compete on U.S. Olympic teams at all three distances: 10,000m (2000), marathon (2004), and 5000 meters (2008).

(4) It's been five years since I ran 26.2 miles, at the Tokyo International Women's Marathon in the fall of 2006. Although I set my personal best there (2:29:32), I decided to concentrate on the track and shorter distances for a while.

(5) From age 9 to 11, I competed in BMX. I loved racing up the hills, off the jumps, and around the sharp curves. I plan on using those skills once again when I navigate New York's five boroughs this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment